Calyptorhynchus – Black Cockatoos
The genus Calyptorhynchus comprises five species of large black Cockatoos native to Australia.
The black cockatoos have been reclassified several times - depending on your sources they may be named or classified differently:
- Severel species was first categorized in the Psittacus genus but was moved to the new Calyptorhynchus genus in 1826 by the French naturalist Anselme Gaëtan Desmarest.
- Carnaby's Black Cockatoo (C. latirostris) and Baudin's Black Cockatoo (C. baudinii) have previously been classified as a single specie named White-tailed Black Cockatoo (C. baudinii) but are now classified as separate species.
- Resent studies suggest that the Calyptorhynchus genus should be divided and the Yellow-tailed Black Cockatoo (C. funereus), Baudin's Black Cockatoo (C. baudinii) and Carnaby's Black Cockatoo (C. latirostris) should be moved to a new Zanda genus containing black and yellow/white Cockatoos while keeping the black and red Cockatoos only in the Calyptorhynchus genus. Some sources e.g. [HBW] already use the new Zanda genus while [IOC] still include all five species in the Calyptorhynchus genus.
Notice: With IOC 10.2 update it is expected that the following species will be reclassified to the Zanda genus:
- Calyptorhynchus baudinii Baudin's Black Cockatoo will be reclassified as Zanda baudinii
- Calyptorhynchus funereus Yellow-tailed Black Cockatoo will be reclassified as Zanda funerea
- Calyptorhynchus latirostris Carnaby's Black Cockatoo will be reclassified as Zanda latirostris
- Yellow-tailed Black-Cockatoo : Stuart Leslie
Species and subspecies
- Calyptorhynchus banksii (Latham, 1790) - Red-tailed Black Cockatoo
- Calyptorhynchus banksii banksii (Latham, 1790)
- Calyptorhynchus banksii graptogyne (Schodde, Saunders, DA & Homberger, 1989)
- Calyptorhynchus banksii macrorhynchus (Gould, 1843)
- Calyptorhynchus banksii naso (Gould, 1837)
- Calyptorhynchus banksii samueli (Mathews, 1917)
- Calyptorhynchus baudinii (Lear, 1832) - Baudin's Black Cockatoo
- Calyptorhynchus funereus (Shaw, 1794) - Yellow-tailed Black Cockatoo
- Calyptorhynchus funereus funereus (Shaw, 1794)
- Calyptorhynchus funereus whiteae (Mathews, 1912)
- Calyptorhynchus funereus xanthanotus (Gould, 1838)
- Calyptorhynchus lathami (Temminck, 1807) - Glossy Black Cockatoo
- Calyptorhynchus lathami lathami (Temminck, 1807)
- Calyptorhynchus lathami erebus (Schodde & Mason, IJ, 1993)
- Calyptorhynchus lathami halmaturinus (Mathews, 1912)
- Calyptorhynchus latirostris (Carnaby, 1948) - Carnaby's Black Cockatoo