The Cyanoliseus genus includes a single species: Burrowing Parrot. In aviculture they are also known as Conures - a term that includes several genera.
It is most common in Argentina with a smaller population in Chile. Some birds migrate to Uruguay during winter. Some individuals have been seen on the Falkland Islands.
They are popular pets as they are very affectionate and social - they can also learn to mimic sounds and words. However, they can be very noisy and not suitable as a pet if you are living in an apartment.
Species & Subspecies
- Cyanoliseus patagonus (Vieillot, 1818) - Burrowing Parrot
- Cyanoliseus patagonus patagonus (Vieillot, 1818)
- Cyanoliseus patagonus andinus (Dabbene & Lillo, 1913)
- Cyanoliseus patagonus bloxami (Olson, 1995)
- Cyanoliseus patagonus conlara (Nores & Yzurieta, 1983)