The Pionites genus includes two medium sized stocky parrots with short square tails and very bright colours. They are endemic to the Amazon Basin in South America.
In aviculture they are commonly known as caiques. They are very popular pets as they tend to bond closely with the owner and they are very playful and love to fool around, e.g. by lying on the back while playing with some toy.
Species & Subspecies
- Pionites leucogaster (Kuhl, 1820) - White-bellied Parrot
- Pionites leucogaster leucogaster (Kuhl, 1820)
- Pionites leucogaster xanthomerius (Sclater, PL, 1858)
- Pionites leucogaster xanthurus (Todd, 1925)
- Pionites melanocephalus (Linnaeus, 1758) - Black-headed Parrot
- Pionites melanocephalus melanocephalus (Linnaeus, 1758)
- Pionites melanocephalus pallidus (von Berlepsch, 1889)