The Aratinga genus includes six medium sized (24-38 cm) parrots with an overall green or yellow plumage and a long wedge-shaped tail.
They can be very noisy and may not be the best pet parrot if you are living in an apartment. They are however easy to breed and also make for a good pet parrot.
The Aratinga parrots are not sensible to low temperature.
Species & Subspecies
- Aratinga auricapillus (Kuhl, 1820) - Golden-capped Parakeet
- Aratinga auricapillus auricapillus (Kuhl, 1820)
- Aratinga auricapillus aurifrons (von Spix, 1824)
- Aratinga jandaya (Gmelin, JF, 1788) - Jandaya Parakeet
- Aratinga maculata (Statius Müller, PL, 1776) - Sulphur-breasted Parakeet
- Aratinga nenday (Vieillot, 1823) - Nanday Parakeet
- Aratinga solstitialis (Linnaeus, 1758) - Sun Parakeet
- Aratinga weddellii (Deville, 1851) - Dusky-headed Parakeet