The Pezoporus genus includes some very unusual parrots:
The Night Parrot was previously thought be extinct. As the name implies it is active at night where it feeds on spinifex grass seeds; during the day it dozes under a tussock.
The Ground Parrot live on the ground where it run around in the grass just like a quail; it also builds its nest on the ground (most parrots use a hollow three for nesting).
Western Ground Parrot
Eastern Ground Parrot
Species & Subspecies
- Pezoporus flaviventris (North, 1911) - Western Ground Parrot
- Pezoporus occidentalis (Gould, 1861) - Night Parrot
- Pezoporus wallicus (Kerr, 1792) - Eastern Ground Parrot
- Pezoporus wallicus wallicus (Kerr, 1792)
- Pezoporus wallicus leachi (Mathews, 1912)