The Polytelis genus includes three parakeet species with long tails. They are endemic to Australia.
Polytelis are medium sized parrots about 34-46 cm long - the long tail constitute about half of the total length.
Polytelis literally translates to "magnificent" which is very descriptive for these beautiful parrots.
Some breeders have noticed Polytelis may become overweight if they do not get plenty of exercise, so a large aviary is recommended.
Species & Subspecies
- Polytelis alexandrae (Gould, 1863) - Princess Parrot
- Polytelis anthopeplus (Lear, 1831) - Regent Parrot
- Polytelis anthopeplus anthopeplus (Lear, 1831)
- Polytelis anthopeplus monarchoides (Schodde, 1993)
- Polytelis swainsonii (Desmarest, 1826) - Superb Parrot