The Prosopeia genus includes three species of Shining Parrot.
These large (about 45-47 cm long) long tailed parrots have a very bright plumage as the English name implies.
They are endemic to the islands of Fiji, however the Maroon Shining Parrot has also been introduced to Tonga.
They are very rare in captivity.
Masked Shining Parrot
Crimson Shining Parrot
Maroon Shining Parrot
Species & Subspecies
- Prosopeia personata (Gray, GR, 1848) - Masked Shining Parrot
- Prosopeia splendens (Peale, 1848) - Crimson Shining Parrot
- Prosopeia tabuensis (Gmelin, JF, 1788) - Maroon Shining Parrot
- Prosopeia tabuensis tabuensis (Gmelin, JF, 1788)
- Prosopeia tabuensis taviunensis (Layard, EL, 1876)