The Thectocercus (Ridgway, 1912) genus includes a single Neotropical parakeet: Blue-crowned Parakeet.
The Blue-crowned Parakeet was previously included in the Aratinga genus but recent studies have resulted in it being moved to its own genus.
The five subspecies are native to Bolivia, Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay, Columbia and Venezuela.
It is a medium size parrot with an overall green plumage. The nominate subspecies has a dull blue colour on the forehead, crown, cheaks and ear coverts; the other subspecies has less blue colouration. Most subspecies have a white eye-ring except the T.a. neumanni, which has an orange eye-ring.
Species & Subspecies
- Thectocercus acuticaudatus (Vieillot, 1818) - Blue-crowned Parakeet
- Thectocercus acuticaudatus acuticaudatus (Vieillot, 1818)
- Thectocercus acuticaudatus haemorrhous (von Spix, 1824)
- Thectocercus acuticaudatus koenigi (Arndt, 1995)
- Thectocercus acuticaudatus neoxenus (Cory, 1909)
- Thectocercus acuticaudatus neumanni (Blake & Traylor, 1947)